Friday, February 10, 2006

The Other Side ...

If it is the elegance of Charminar and the mutton shops around, that attracts me again and again, The thought of travelling in a city bus just gets my spirits down.

History is Always History



Cramped in a corner,
I ride a bus to Char Minar.
Bursting bodies press on me
as strangeness begs familiarity
in sharing a hard, narrow seat.

I feel the soft, wrinkled skin
of an old Hyderabadi begum
leaning to the window for fresh air,
gasping curses on Allah for her plight.

The mother with child at her breast
squats near my feet, quite content:
two little dirty hands tug innocently
the edge of my crumpled shawl.

Before I mingle again
in the crowd of Char Minar,
two sunken eyes offer me
eternity in a begging bowl,
promising me a reserved seat
in the crowded bus to heaven,
provided I pay the commission.

- Shanta Acharya

No comments: